Game-Based Learning: Interactive Fiction
- Adrian Camm, Curriculum Innovation, Quantum Victoria
Remember Choose Your own Adventure books from the 80’s?
This concept combined with today’s media allows students to take the idea of interactive fiction to a whole new level using game-like ideas & computational thinking. During this workshop participants will use iPad apps, multimedia, Youtube and open source interactive fiction design systems as tools for teaching programming concepts, game design, literacy and systems thinking.
This workshop will provide insight into how Interactive Fiction can be integrated across a range of subject areas as participants create their own subject-based adventures games, gripping narratives and historical simulations.
- Discover how branching narratives are used in game design;
- Examine the process of learning design through the lens of game mechanics;
- Produce a work of Interactive Fiction
- Leave the workshop with a host of resources & ideas that can be immediately used.